Install the EteSync app from the App Store:
The iOS app is quite new, is please let us know if you encounter any issues or have any feedback.
Syncing without iCloud
Due to iOS limitations EteSync can't create new accounts on the device and can only sync to existing ones. In addition, there's no local account unless iCloud is turned off. Therefore you either need to turn iCloud off, or use the DAV account workaround to avoid syncng with iCloud. Read the next two sections for more information.
Recommended: turning iCloud off
The easiest way to use EteSync is by using the local device account, which requires disabling iCloud for your wanted sync types.
To disable iCloud, open the Settings app and go to Passwords & Accounts -> iCloud and disable Contacts, Calendars and Reminders (or any subset, depending on what you would like to sync with EteSync). After doing so, you will be able to choose the local account and have EteSync sync there.
DAV account workaround (keeping iCloud on)
If you would like to continue using iCloud for calendars and reminders, and use EteSync in parallel, you can create a fake DAV account for EteSync to use.
You can either follow this video or the textual step-by-step below. The account description must be exactly
etesync otherwise sync won't work.
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and open Passwords & Accounts
- Click Add Account, then Other and then Add CalDAV Account.
- Enter the following into the form (this is a fake account so won't actually connect to anything):
- Server: localhost
- Username: aaaaa
- Password: aaaaa
- Description: etesync (has to be exactly "etesync")
- Click Save.
- You will now get a popup saying Cannot Connect Using SSL, Click Continue.
- You'll now get a popup about account verification failing. Click OK.
- Click Save again until the account is saved.
Optional: set EteSync as the default calendar
Open the Settings app, scroll down to Calendars (or Reminders) and set one of the EteSync calendars as the default.